Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Kovakka Beans Mezhukkupuratti

Kovakka Beans Mezhukkupuratti:


After cooking for the Onam festivals Sadhya, when I was searching my fridge to make some thing for lunch the next day I had found some kovakka and beans. As the quantity of each was less I thought I would mix the two and make a simple dish. Mezhukuparatis are familiar to all... and I personally love the taste of mezhkkupurattis.. Today I am going to make a mixed mezhukuparati with beans and kovakka.

Ingredients:
Kovakka/gerkins/gherkins/tindora/ivy gourd:10
Beans:10
Onion:1/shallots:7-8nos
Green chilly:2-3
Garlic:5-6 pods
Dried red chilly(crushed or whole):1(optional)
Turmeric Powder:1/4 teaspoon
Chilly powder:1/4 teaspoon
Oil:1 tablespoon
Salt:to taste

Note: When I was going through the other names of kovakka I found that it is called tondli in Maharashtra, dondakaya/tondekayi in Karnataka.

Procedure:
1. Cut kovakka,beans,onion in long slender pieces
2. Boil the above 3 items in very little water with salt, turmeric powder and green chilies; with the lid on. After the kovakkai and beans gets half-cooked. Keep it aside.


3. Heat oil in another pan. Add red-chilly and fry till colour changes.
4. Add crushed garlic and fry till the color of garlic changes (till the raw smell goes). Then add the kovakka and beans, stir till the pieces have turned golden. This may take up to 15 to 20 minutes.
5. After the kovakka beans pieces has turned golden brown add chilly powder and cook for 3-4 minutes.(this gives a nice color)

6. Serve hot with rice or chappati/roti.

No comments:

Post a Comment